TBM ONLINE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TBM ONLINE

OUR ONLINE BIBLICAL LEARNING CENTER

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

CHRISTIAN UNITY

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

CHRISTIAN UNITY Empty
PostSubject: CHRISTIAN UNITY   CHRISTIAN UNITY EmptyMon Aug 23, 2010 1:54 am

Christian Unity

Unity means to make into or become a unit: to consolidate, to become one. As Christians we are united in Christ and it is our responsibility to keep that unity and share it with others.

Let’s read a few scriptural references about us as Christians and what unites us:

Reference 1.

John 6: 51

51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live forever; and this bread, which I will offer so the world may live, is my flesh.

Christ himself said that he is the living bread that came to us from heaven; anyone who eats it will live forever. We are united in Christ as believers who partake in him and his ways…

Reference 2.

2 Cor. 6:16

16 And what union can there be between God’s temple and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God said:
“I will live in them
And walk among them.
I will be their God,
And they will be my people.

This reference lets you see how we are first united to God (Through acceptance of Christ of course) and we are Gods temple that he dwells in, we are his people, Christians.

Reference 3.

Col. 2:10

Page 2. Christian Unity

10 So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority.

We are united to Christ as our Lord and Savior our faith and belief in him allows us to obtain a relationship with God, his father.

All who accept Christ as their Lord and Savior are united in belief and obedience, they are called Christians and all share the common bond of the Holy Spirit that is a gift upon acceptance of Christ.

“Christians all share the common bond of the Holy Spirit”

Let us read a few scriptural references pertaining to this comment:

Reference 1.

Eph. 4:3

3 Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace.

As you see we are commanded to keep ourselves united in the spirit!

Reference 2.

Acts 1:5

5 John baptized with water, but in just a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

All Christians are united into one body and one spirit…

Reference 3.

Rom. 6:5

5 Since we have been united with him in his death, we will also be raised to life as he was.

Page 3. Christian Unity

Since we are united in Christ, we are united in Christianity and we share in the future of heaven together as brothers and sisters. We have the common bond of being freed from sin together…

The scriptural references above prove that we are united in Christ through our Christianity, what does that mean for us as Christians? We have a big responsibility to each other and the church, failure to do what we are commanded can put us in eternal jeopardy…

Let us review some scripture to see what our responsibility is as Christians…

Christian Responsibilities

Know when to keep peace, we must pick our battles, it is especially important for us to keep peace within our family structure……….Gen. 13:7-8
Rehoboam’s foolishness divided his kingdom now he is attempting to get it back by force. True unity cannot be forced….2 Chron. 11:1
Always be organized, at home and business affairs, King Solomon understood that organization in administration brought unity……….1 Kings 4:1
Unity is something that must be worked at, it is a command by Paul to work at Unity……….Eph 4:1-6
We are to witness to others and unify the church……….Eph. 4:13

It is our priority as Christians to be united in:

In our relationships……….Mk. 10:8
We are to be united in Christ and his character………Roma. 7:4
Peace/In marital relations……..1 Cor. 7:15-16
In church relations……….1Cor. 12:13
Honesty………Eph. 4:25

Page 4. Christian Unity

The Down Side to not being a Christian and sharing in unity is that you will be living a life incomplete and feeling no love, there will be no peace without Christ! Christ commanded us to be unified for a reason, let’s look at some scriptural references:

Reference 1.

John 17: 21-23

21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.
22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me.

Christ wants us to share in the same relation with him as he and his father share, one big happy family. If the relationship is a healthy one then it can affect others in a positive way, if not it can be detrimental.

Reference 2.

Gal 5:14-15

14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 but if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.

The bible tells us that when we are bickering and fighting and trying to hurt one another that we have the potential to destroy each other. That is exactly what Satan wants and he works by tearing down any unity, especially amongst Christians. It is our responsibility to make sure that he doesn’t get a chance!

Page 5. Christian Unity

Reference 3.

1 Cor. 6:16

16 And don’t you realize that if a man joins himself to a prostitute, he becomes one body with her? For the Scriptures say, “The two are united into one.”

We need to realize that the reality of unity is that it can go either way, bad or good. We can be united in evil just like we can be united in what’s good and Christ. The scripture above is a reference to the opposite of a unified marital relationship; it is a reference to prostitution. When we indulge in sexual sins we become apart of that sin with the person committing them. We must abstain from sin especially those of the flesh that tear apart the unity God intended for marriage!

Reference 4.

Phil 1: 7-8

7 So it is right that I should feel as I do about all of you, for you have a special place in my heart. You share with me the special favor of God, both in my imprisonment and in defending and confirming the truth of the Good News. 8 God knows how much I love you and long for you with the tender compassion of Christ Jesus.

The bottom line to unity is love. Without love there is no unity and wherever there is love there is unity and peace. Let us take this scriptural example that is given to us by Paul and love each other with compassion and a desire to please God!!!

Page 6. Christian Unity

Questions

What does unity mean? _______________________________________________________

Who are we united in as Christians? _______________________________________________________

How do we become united with Christ? _______________________________________________________

What common bond do Christians share? _______________________________________________________
What are some of our responsibilities as Christians? ________________________________________________________
What are some of the things that we as Christians should be united in? ________________________________________________________
Why does Christ want us to be united? ________________________________________________________
What is the foundation of unity? ______________________________
What can we do as Christians to stay unified with our brothers and sisters? ____________________________________________________
What are some things that we or the church can do to unify other Christians? ___________________________________________________

COPYRIGHT 2010 TBM NATIONAL.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tbmonline.org

CHRISTIAN UNITY
Page 1 of 1